Sunday, October 22, 2006

First day back in civilization


Here are some of my random thoughts/poems written in the first couple days after coming out of the wilderness in Alaska after a 2 week rafting trip in July. It is interesting looking back at what I wrote in my journal book and how I was feeling about reentry.

We were in the real world and have come back to an unreality

Sleep came more easily in a tent under the watch of bears than between crisp white sheets under a plaster sky

The river's currents pull at me long after I have stepped off the raft

You cannot walk away from this place unchanged

Living among a small village of 25 on the river we play together, eat together, sleep together, and become children again in sense filled awe - the amazing world this river, mountains, lakes, and creatures have shared with us.....

There is too much noise here. Ear piercing, heart wrenching noise in traffic, voices, billboards, TV, and even the sound of music carries an annoying tune. I have been spoiled by the songs of birds, the howl of the wind, the lullaby sung by the river, the crackling of ice and the most powerful sound out there....deep silence.

No comments: